Are you looking for a way to quickly and easily get alerts and notifications in your MT4 / MT5 charts?
MetaTrader has a very handy feature built into it’s platform that allows you to set up a variety of different alerts. You can have these alerts notify you right on your charts or send you notifications to your email or phone.
In this post we go through the exact steps you can take to easily set up the different MetaTrader alerts.
What are MetaTrader Alerts and Notifications?
MT4 and MT5 have a great feature that is already built in for you that will allow you to set up price alerts.
These alerts will send you a notification as soon as price reaches a certain level.
Why is this so useful? If you are looking to get into a trade, but are waiting for price to get to a certain level you could set up an alert instead of constantly watching the price.
If you are already in a trade and you want to know if price goes to your profit or stop loss level you could set up an alert to notify you.
These alerts could then easily be set up so you get them either just directly on your charts, or with the alert coming through to your email and phone.
How to Set up MT4 and MT5 Alerts on Your Desktop Platform
The easiest alert to create is directly on your MetaTrader charts. Keep in mind; unlike email or phone alerts, if you are not at your charts or they are not turned on, then you will not see the alert.
To create an alert when price reaches a certain price in your MT4 or MT5 charts follow these instructions;
- Open your MetaTrader charts.
- Select the Forex pair or market you want to create the alert for.
- Select “View” > “Terminal”.
- In your trading terminal you will see “Alerts”. Click on this alerts tab.
- Right click in the blank box and click “Create”.
- A box will open showing you all the different variables you can use to create your alert. See the example below.
- Fill out the selections with how you want to create your alert and select “OK”.
How to Set up MT4 and MT5 Alerts to Your Email
Setting up alerts so you start getting notifications from your MetaTrader charts through to your email is a straightforward process, however each email provider will work a little bit differently.
I am going to take you through how to set it up for Gmail as Gmail is the most common email provider.
To set up your email to start getting notifications follow these instructions;
- Open your MT4 / MT5 charts.
- Select “Tools” > “Options” > “Email”.
- A box will open with different fields for you to fill out.
- Using Gmail as an example you will need to fill these out as follows;
- Select “Enable”.
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP login: your email address
- SMTP Password: (your email password)
- From: Enter the email address to send from
- To: The name you want the alerts to come from
How to Set up MT4 and MT5 Push SMS Notification Alerts to Your Phone
To receive notifications to your phone you will need to connect your live or demo trading account to your mobile. To make this happen you will need to download the MT4 or MT5 app on your phone.
When you have done that it is important you then login to the MetaTrader app with the same account information that you use for your desktop platform. That way both the desktop and phone platforms will be using the same account information.
To start receiving alerts to your phone using MetaTrader follow these instructions;
- Download the MT4 or MT5 app on your phone.
- Open the app on your mobile and go to the messages header. In here you are looking for your eight character ID number.
- Open your MetaTrader charts on your desktop.
- Select “Tools” > “Options and then “Notifications”.
- Enable the checkbox for “Enable push notifications”.
- Enter your eight character ID that you got from your mobile app.
- Hit the test button. This should send a test alert through to your phone to make sure it is working.
Now that you have confirmed that alerts are being sent through to your phone you can begin creating them on your desktop platform and have them sent through to your phone.
How to Turn Off MetaTrader Alerts and Notifications
If you want to turn off or delete any alerts or notifications you can follow these steps;
- Open your MT4 or MT5 charts.
- Select “View” > “Terminal”.
- Right click on the alert you want turn off or delete.
- Options will then popup for you to either delete or turn off these alerts.